Reinstalling 8.04

steven vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 18 21:15:46 UTC 2009

> (hopefully last) question:  does it matter what order the partitions
> are in?  It has been a while since I did an install.  If I am not
> mistaken, the installation makes you do the / first.
I have 1.5TB of HDD and I use 20gb for Jaunty KDE 4.2.3.  I did a complete
install with 470gb of existing data in my computer.  I formatted, installed,
updated and configured Kmail to be able to write to the List.  It all took just
20 minutes.  I was trying to complete in less than an hour, so timed it.

I put all the data in the 500gb HDD and only set the mount point.  I set the
mount point to /home/steven/backup2 on the 500gb SATA drive.  By the way, I
used the ext4 file type for everything.  I created a 450gb partition with mount
point /home/steven/backup, I created a 460gb partition mounted as
/home/steven.  I formatted and mounted as root 20gb and installed Jaunty.
Installation took about 7 minutes.  I downloaded and installed updates which
took about 10 minutes; I configured kmail, received 8 emails read them and
answered one in 3 minutes.  The complete install including adding kmail and
moving data to the 500gb HDD took 31 minutes total.

My HDD's are SATA.  I copied data from backup2 to backup about 130gb in 31
minutes.  I spent another 1/2 hour installing Kubuntu Restricted Extras and a
couple of applications which took another 35 minutes, including about 45gb
additional movement of data from disk to disk, which covered the OS backup and
pictures, and saved art.  That took 16 minutes.  I have to admit moving data
on a SATA is different.  Data going from the TB drive to the 500GB drive
traveled at between 20 and 40mbps, while data transferring from the smaller
drive to the larger drive went 50 to 60mbps average.  The highest transfer
took place at 77.?mbps.  And, I suspect, some of that speed came from the ext4
file system.  It is really something to see data move that fast.

In contrast, when I installed Intrepid, it took an hour to install the OS, an
hour and 1/2 installing updates, an hour installing kubuntu restricted extras,
and in 3 months, I never got kmail installed.  By the way internet and lan
installed and configured during the jaunty installation, so there was nothing
to do there.

Additionally there is a widget that can be installed to create the traditional
menu based application for Intrepid die-hards, but if they don't take time to
get used to the new KDE, it is silly, because the new is better and only takes
a few days to get used to.

A few years ago during a change in the Olympics regulations, several swimmers
changed to the new technology swim suits and shaved several seconds off their
time, however there were also people who lost by a part of a second who stuck
by their old swim suits and did not get a medal.  By the way the new tech
swimmers got gold, silver and bronze.  Close as I can get for a parable for
the KDE Jaunty controversy.

I apologize for being so opinionated, however if you have been on the list
very long, you will recognize me as perhaps the least capable operator of the
Linux OS.  Nonetheless, I have strong opinion on this issue.  Jaunty KDE 4.2.3
is not only easier for the dumb ones like me, but it works better, and is
extremely fast.  Additionally, I run most of the glitzy stuff.

Steven