Xorg on Thinkpad W500 and Jaunty

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at kubuntu.org
Mon May 18 16:35:58 UTC 2009

Hi Michael,

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 20:08, Michael Hirsch <mdhirsch at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh great.  And here I thought that I was behind and I'm actually ahead
> of the curve?  Uh oh.
>
>> I have exactly the same laptop and fglrx never worked here in Jaunty.
>> Every time I tried to start X it froze the whole machine ( and really
>> frozen, only hard booting possible after it)  if I wasn't fast enough
>> to switch to tty1 on start.
>
> I wonder what the difference is?  Do you have the 1920x1200 display,
> or the 1680x1050?  I have the 1680x1050 screen.

Well, yes I use the 1920x1200 resolution now, but can change this,
only it didn't help when I first installed Jaunty.

>> I chose to use the free radeon driver instead, which of course also
>> means a limited set of desktop effects with XRender, as OpenGL simply
>> refuses to work without freezing the X session. Reproducible every
>> time.
>
> I may have to try that.  Strangely, fglrx works fine for me except
> that I have to manually convert screen resolutions after logging in.
> glxgears reports 1229 FPS.

Unfortunately glxears only tells you the potential acceleration speed
with a very approximate precision, it's not an benchmark or an
indication that it will actually work, this depends entirely on the
driver and X settings.

>> I have found very few reports of people actually running OpenGL with
>> this card, but far too poor information is available on how to
>> actually tweak the system to make it work again as in Intrepid... so
>> some detailed information on which exact xorg.conf settings needed
>> would be very welcome!
>
> There isn't much in my xorg.conf, but you are welcome to it.  Maybe
> together we can get full resolution

Thanks a lot, Michael, I will give it a try as soon as my workload
allows it and report back.
Just be patient, there are a lot of thinks in my pipeline right now
with higher priority so this will have to wait.

But I am sure this could also help others, so posting ones xorg.conf
settings is always a good idea, as it will end up in the search
engines for others to try.

Regards, Myriam.

http://www.fsfe.org