how to reuse ntfs partition?

Thorny thorntreehome at gmail.com
Mon May 18 13:09:49 UTC 2009

On Mon, 18 May 2009 13:11:30 +0100, nepal.roade posted:

> [...]
> I could not find a way with either [qt]/[g]parted to get the UUID. The
> only way to get a UUID for a partition that I know of is from
> /dev/disk/by-uuid, (but the system has to have it already mounted IIUC)

Try the command,blkid, as root, to get a listing of all the partitions
your system sees. The partitions do not need to be mounted. Or more
specifically, blkid (device node) for the specific device i.e. blkid
/dev/sda1

> Yes I do want to do that at some point, but that is when the partitions
> will be renumbered? if I split sda1 into two or more partitions I am not
> sure of the consequences and hence remain reluctant.

Yes, wise to be careful when what you do will renumber partitions.