Phonon sound problem?

Kevin B. O'Brien nadreck at palain.com
Fri May 15 22:35:20 BST 2009

Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> Hi Kevin,
>
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 03:17, Kevin B. O'Brien <nadreck at palain.com> wrote:
>
>> After upgrading to Jaunty, which also includes Amarok 2.0, I found I get
>> no sound from this application. Someone on the Amarok list suggested
>> that I try Dragon Player, and I get no sound with that either. On the
>> other hand Miro is working just fine, so there is nothing intrinsically
>> wrong with the sound system. Does this point to Phonon as the problem?
>> And if so, any idea how I can fix it?
>>

> This definitely points to a phonon problem. Please check that you use
> the xine backend for phonon:
> SystemSettings -> Multimedia -> in the Backend tab
>
> In the first tab you can see what sound card/sound server is used. If
> you have Pulseaudio on top of that list: bingo!
>
> Pulseaudio is known to cause problems with sound in KDE4, and normally
> the KDE apps do not use Pulseaudio.
>
> If you indeed have pulseaudio, you have two possibilities:
> - remove pulseaudio
> -push the pulseaudio server entry in phonon to the bottom
>
> Please report back if this worked.

After trying everything else, including a re-installation of Kubuntu, I
finally applied scorched-earth tactics. I used locate to find every file
on my hard drive that had "pulse" in the name, deleted the whole lot of
them, and now I have sound with Phonon.

Regards,

--
Kevin B. O'Brien         TANSTAAFL
nadreck at palain.com      Linux User #333216

"If all else fails, immortality can always be assured by spectacular
error." -- John Kenneth Galbraith