KDE 4 simply broken

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Fri May 15 22:14:58 BST 2009

Jussi Kekkonen said:

> 2009/5/15 Ric Moore <wayward4now at gmail.com>:
>> On Thu, 2009-05-14 at 18:02 +0000, marc wrote:
>>> FYI, there's an interesting thread ongoing in debian.users.kde.
>>>
>>> Here's the guy's list of issues:
>>>
>>>   http://dgwiki.dingogully.com.au/Jedd/Excogitations/IT/KDE_4
>> +100  That was a fine rant! I couldn't have done better. I'm still on
>> KDE3 and nothing is weird.
>> :) Ric
>> --
>>
>> My father, Victor Moore (Vic) used to say: "There are two Great Sins in
>> the world... ..the Sin of Ignorance, and the Sin of Stupidity. Only the
>> former may be overcome." R.I.P. Dad. Linux user# 44256
>> https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
>> Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987
>>

> And then again, noone is stopping _YOU_ using KDE3 and even developing
> it

I was done with c++ two decades ago :-) And I do develop.

Still, where would the devs be if we didn't test the new stuff and raise
bugs on it. Make your minds up! Do you want to know about issue or not?

> whining to KDE developers (no, I don't think you can mean me in this
> case anyway) when they (we?) like to go forward instead to stall in
> current/past.

Woah! Political answer.

Also, where I come from claiming someone is whining is hugely insulting.
It basically means that you heard someone's argument and have no respect
for the argument nor for the individual that made it; it has a different
context when said to a child.

It's an unnecessary insult, and it undermines _you_ a great deal.

> Just remember, even KDE is mostly developed by volunteers, so whining
> and ranting is not encouraging them as much as good positive-toned
> comments. (:

The guy listed the issues that he has with KDE4 in a systematic way;
noting fixes and ideas as he went. I'd call that useful info. And
remember, he's a volunteer too; as am I and many folk on this list.

If you, as a dev, consider his words as a feeble, petulant complaint,
then it helps to understand why kde4 is in the mess it's in: namely, you
guys don't seem to be listening.

There are +ve noises around here, just too few at the moment. Believe me,
we'd rather be raving about the awesomeness of it.

--
Best,
Marc

"Big change requires small steps."