Fwd: kernel upgrade 2.6.24-23 in Kubuntu 8.0.4 kde 3.5

Edmund Laugasson ed.lau at mail.ee
Thu May 14 21:49:00 UTC 2009

> I got over the problem of the broken linux-image-generic, and
> now have installed the updates and usinbg kernel 2.6.24-24,
> but when I boot up on the grub loader is shows
> Ubuntu 8.4.02, kernel 2.6.24-24 (generic)
> Ubuntu 8.04.2, kernel 2.6.24-24 (recovery console)
> Ubuntu 8.04.2, kernel 2.6.24-23 (generic)
> Ubuntu 8.04.2, kernel 2.6.24-23 (recovery console)
> Ubuntu 8.04.2, kernel 2.6.24-16 (generic)
> Ubuntu 8.04.2, kernel 2.6.24-16 (recovery console)
> memtest 64
> other operating systems
> windows xp pro
>
> Now that it is upgraded to tjhe 2.6.24-23, how do I
> eliminate the other two kernel's

Open the terminal Konsole from Main menu under Utilities. You can also open it by pressing ALT+F2 to
open Run-window and by typing into field konsole and pressing enter. Then those commands onto
command line and press enter after each command. When asking password - type your user password and
press enter. I assume you're using that user when installed Kubuntu and then that user is member of
admin group and has administration rights. If not, then you have to log in with administrator rights
and then type these commands. If you have no admin rights then you just cannot use sudo and do all that.

1) sudo nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
or graphically in KDE (I assume you're using Kubuntu)
sudo kate /boot/grub/menu.lst

2) find the text:
# updatedefaultentry=false and change it to # updatedefaultentry=true
# alternative=true and change it to # alternative=false
# howmany=7 and change it to # howmany=1

Note, that one "#" MUST be in the beginning of row in this section of Grub conf file! There is
warning: "## DO NOT UNCOMMENT THEM, Just edit them to your needs" - so I suggest to follow it!

comment out the row like this:
# other operating systems

3) save (in nano press F3, in Kate CTRL+S) and exit (in nano press F2, in Kate CTRL+Q)

4) sudo update-grub

5) sudo reboot

Now I suggest to uninstall old kernels and related components if new kernel is working fine. Use
Synaptic, Adept, KPackageKit, APT at command line, etc or other tool to do it.

Best Regards,
Edmund Laugasson