Jaunty - can I disable xinerama?

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Wed May 13 17:27:41 UTC 2009

Mark Greenwood wrote:

> On Wednesday 13 May 2009 14:14:45 Derek Broughton wrote:
>> Mark Greenwood wrote:
>>
>> > I will probably raise this as a bug,
>>
>> It isn't...
>>
>> > but X confuses the living goo out of
>> > me so I'd like to probe the collective wisdom here first..
>> >
>> > On my Asus eee box, X has inexplicably decided I have 2 displays
>> > attached, despite there only being one connector for a monitor, and
>> > that being connected to my flatscreen TV's VGA port.
>>
>> Then, by definition, you have two displays.  There's clearly a second
>> display on your eee.
>
> No, there isn't. There is one DVI port, which is connected to the one VGA
> port on my TV via a suitable connector.

Are you trying to tell me that your eee, unlike every one I've ever seen,
doesn't have a display in its lid?

It doesn't matter how many VGA or DVI ports you have, the internal screen is
one display, and external (VGA or DVI) ports are additional.  You _can_
disable either one - most modern PCs disable the external as soon as you
unplug it, but the _internal_ screen needs either hardware or software
control, and it's entirely possible that your old configuration either (a)
couldn't handle multiple displays, so it automatically disabled the internal
when an external display was connected, or (b) you used to use a function-
key sequence to switch displays which your current setup isn't recognizing.
--
derek