Jaunty - can I disable xinerama?

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Wed May 13 15:59:56 UTC 2009

On Wednesday 13 May 2009 11:48:35 Willy Hamra wrote:
> 2009/5/13 marc <gmane at auxbuss.com>:
> > Mark Greenwood said:
> >
> >> I will probably raise this as a bug, but X confuses the living goo out
> >> of me so I'd like to probe the collective wisdom here first..
> >>
> >> On my Asus eee box, X has inexplicably decided I have 2 displays
> >> attached, despite there only being one connector for a monitor, and that
> >> being connected to my flatscreen TV's VGA port. Very odd. Anyway it
> >> seems that because it thinks I have 2 screens it has also enabled the
> >> horror that is Xinerama and this is causing mythtv no small amount of
> >> confusion.
> >
> > Yup, it seem that if you have multiple video cards and/or multiple
> > monitors X gets very confused. I'm having problems myself, and it's
> > looking like X is the culprit.
> >
> >> Now that we have this new improved X which ignores xorg.conf, how can I
> >> disable xinerama? Or how can I inform it politely that I only have one
> >> screen?
> >
> > I don't believe that X ignores xorg.conf. If you make changes to
> > xorg.conf, restart X, then examine the logs, you should see you're
> > additions being actioned.
> >
> > There does seem to be quite a bit of confusion, though, about what's
> > going on.
> >

> yup, i've had enough of all this confusion about the bullet proof X. X
> still DOES read xorg.conf, and still DOES apply all the graphical
> gibberish we throw in it. i have written my xorg.conf for every
> release of kubuntu from the days of gutsy, and always will.
> the new bullet proof X is just that it can run, autoconfigure itself,
> and work properly even if there is no xorg.conf at all, that's the
> whole story. once settings exist, autoconfiguration stops, and it
> reads the file. as for xinerama, i'm sorry, but i never used it, or
> have any idea what properties/options it has that can be put in
> xorg.conf to control it.

Pasted from my xorg.conf:

# Note that some configuration settings that could be done previously
# in this file, now are automatically configured by the server and settings
# here are ignored.

Is this wrong?

I've already tried several valid modeline settings (generated using gtf) to try to change the vsync settings, but X ignores them all. The same settings, on the same hardware, with an older version of X (and a different distro) work exactly as expected. Wierd.

Mark