help with adept_manager lock

Derek Broughton derek at pointerstop.ca
Wed May 13 12:56:12 UTC 2009

Goh Lip wrote:

> Patricia Wilson wrote:
>> When I try to use adept_manager to do the upgrade to 9.04 I get an error
>> message -- Unable to get exclusive lock
..
>> I had the system go down during a prior attempt to do the upgrade and
>> suspect that there may be a lock file somewhere that didn't get cleaned
>> up. Can anyone help me find that/those  lockfile(s)?
>>
> Try
>
> sudo dpkg --configure -a
>
> or
>
> sudo apt-get install -f

it's a _lock_, not a broken install (though there could be a broken install,
too).  The lock file should be in /var/cache/apt somewhere, iirc.  It's just
called "lock".  Just remove it.

If you can't find it there (of course I don't have one), check in /var/run
or as a last resort run "updatedb" and then "locate lock"
--
derek