Jaunty - can I disable xinerama?

Willy Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Wed May 13 10:48:35 UTC 2009

2009/5/13 marc <gmane at auxbuss.com>:
> Mark Greenwood said:
>
>> I will probably raise this as a bug, but X confuses the living goo out
>> of me so I'd like to probe the collective wisdom here first..
>>
>> On my Asus eee box, X has inexplicably decided I have 2 displays
>> attached, despite there only being one connector for a monitor, and that
>> being connected to my flatscreen TV's VGA port. Very odd. Anyway it
>> seems that because it thinks I have 2 screens it has also enabled the
>> horror that is Xinerama and this is causing mythtv no small amount of
>> confusion.
>
> Yup, it seem that if you have multiple video cards and/or multiple
> monitors X gets very confused. I'm having problems myself, and it's
> looking like X is the culprit.
>
>> Now that we have this new improved X which ignores xorg.conf, how can I
>> disable xinerama? Or how can I inform it politely that I only have one
>> screen?
>
> I don't believe that X ignores xorg.conf. If you make changes to
> xorg.conf, restart X, then examine the logs, you should see you're
> additions being actioned.
>
> There does seem to be quite a bit of confusion, though, about what's
> going on.

yup, i've had enough of all this confusion about the bullet proof X. X
still DOES read xorg.conf, and still DOES apply all the graphical
gibberish we throw in it. i have written my xorg.conf for every
release of kubuntu from the days of gutsy, and always will.
the new bullet proof X is just that it can run, autoconfigure itself,
and work properly even if there is no xorg.conf at all, that's the
whole story. once settings exist, autoconfiguration stops, and it
reads the file. as for xinerama, i'm sorry, but i never used it, or
have any idea what properties/options it has that can be put in
xorg.conf to control it.

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems