Jaunty - can I disable xinerama?

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Wed May 13 08:41:20 UTC 2009

Mark Greenwood said:

> I will probably raise this as a bug, but X confuses the living goo out
> of me so I'd like to probe the collective wisdom here first..
>
> On my Asus eee box, X has inexplicably decided I have 2 displays
> attached, despite there only being one connector for a monitor, and that
> being connected to my flatscreen TV's VGA port. Very odd. Anyway it
> seems that because it thinks I have 2 screens it has also enabled the
> horror that is Xinerama and this is causing mythtv no small amount of
> confusion.

Yup, it seem that if you have multiple video cards and/or multiple
monitors X gets very confused. I'm having problems myself, and it's
looking like X is the culprit.

> Now that we have this new improved X which ignores xorg.conf, how can I
> disable xinerama? Or how can I inform it politely that I only have one
> screen?

I don't believe that X ignores xorg.conf. If you make changes to
xorg.conf, restart X, then examine the logs, you should see you're
additions being actioned.

There does seem to be quite a bit of confusion, though, about what's
going on.

--
Best,
Marc