Find

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Wed May 13 06:30:51 UTC 2009

Steven Vollom wrote:
> (Trim)
>> Okay, Steven, good luck. But I think most of us here would not suggest it.
>
> I am a bit surprised, I thought mu current choices were as advised.  What
> would you not suggest.
>
>> But like what Nils put it so nicely, it is your decision, your computer and
>> your life. And certainly you do not hurt anybody with your decision.
>
> Shoot, I have always been affected by the recommendations of the experts.
> Until now, I have not used my own ideas much at all.  I have been so
> uninstructed.
>
> I may have changed a bit since yesterday, but my new HDD comes tomorrow
> morning. So here is what my current plan is.
>
> Using the new 1TB HDD, I am going to format the drive with 40 or 50gb's as the
> boot partition.  I am going to set swap to 9gb, because of something Sascha
> said.  Then I am going to create a partition for the balance called /home.
>
> I am going to set the configuration so that the OS and applications save all
> data to the /home partition, including email and bookmarks, and anything
> relating to art programs--all applications that required saved data.
>
> Next, I am going to move all important data from my current HDD to the new
> drive.  Then I am going to look for some missing folders that I think may
> still be on the drive, but that I have lost somehow.  Once I am convinced
> there is nothing worth saving from my current drive, I will format it and name
> it /backup.  That is all it will be used for.
>
> As far as the 200gb IDE drive is concerned, I plan to pause until I get more
> advice on virtual machines.  Is there anything wrong with this plan?  TIA
>
> Steven
> (Trim)

No, as someone said, it is up to you.

However, personally I would do it a bit different, if it were my own
machine:
1. use the 1 TB drive as you described
2. Transfer data from 500gb drive to 1TB drive
3. move 500 gb drive and 200 mb drive out of the machine
4. move 500 gb drive to external usb enclousure (you might use an
external SATA enclosure, if your motherboard supports external SATA
connectivity). This will be your backup disk
5. Use 200 mb PATA disk elsewhere. Imho a 200mb PATA disk does not
really make sense, when you are on SATA with 1GB.

Doing it like this, imho your machine will be way more quiet with one
harddisk instead of three making noise and warming up the case. At the
same time, your data will be much safer, if your backup is external to
your computer. You might possibly store your backup elsewhere in your
house or outside your house at a neighbours' site.

Just my two €-cents

Eberhard