help with adept_manager lock

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Wed May 13 04:42:45 UTC 2009

Patricia Wilson wrote:

>      >     Patricia Wilson wrote:
>      >      > When I try to use adept_manager to do the upgrade to 9.04
>     I get
>      >     an error
>      >      > message -- Unable to get exclusive lock
>      >      > With detail --
>      >      > This usually means that another package management
>     application (like
>      >      > apt-get or aptitude) already running. Please close that
>      >     application first.
>      >      >
>      >      > I had the system go down during a prior attempt to do the
>     upgrade and
>      >      > suspect that there may be a lock file somewhere that
>     didn't get
>      >     cleaned
>      >      > up. Can anyone help me find that/those  lockfile(s)?
>      >      >
>      >      >
>      >
>      >     Try
>      >
>      >     sudo dpkg --configure -a
>      >
>      >     or
>      >
>      >     sudo apt-get install -f
>      >

>      > I tried both and am still getting the same error.
>
>     Have you exited Adept or Synaptic or whatever when you do this?
>
>     Note: please bottom post,(meaning write your reply below the quotes). I
>     have to rearrange your messages so others can get some sense of the
>     messages.
>
> Yes, I just tried running both after a reboot and I still get the lock
> error from adept_manager. I am running adept_manager from the command
> line and get a lot of messages in  the terminal window but none seem
> relevant to this issue. Also, I am running from gnome not KDE.

Thanks for bottom posting.
When I mentioned exit from Adept or Synaptic, it means don't use the
program, close, quit or whatever term you can understand. Don't use
adept_manager. Close, quit, exit. Then, on a terminal, console or bash,
type "sudo dpkg --configure -a" or "sudo apt-get install -f"  without
the quotation marks.

If you are using Gnome, why are you using Adept?