Find

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 13 01:04:12 UTC 2009

(Trim)
> Okay, Steven, good luck. But I think most of us here would not suggest it.

I am a bit surprised, I thought mu current choices were as advised.  What
would you not suggest.

> But like what Nils put it so nicely, it is your decision, your computer and
> your life. And certainly you do not hurt anybody with your decision.

Shoot, I have always been affected by the recommendations of the experts.
Until now, I have not used my own ideas much at all.  I have been so
uninstructed.

I may have changed a bit since yesterday, but my new HDD comes tomorrow
morning. So here is what my current plan is.

Using the new 1TB HDD, I am going to format the drive with 40 or 50gb's as the
boot partition.  I am going to set swap to 9gb, because of something Sascha
said.  Then I am going to create a partition for the balance called /home.

I am going to set the configuration so that the OS and applications save all
data to the /home partition, including email and bookmarks, and anything
relating to art programs--all applications that required saved data.

Next, I am going to move all important data from my current HDD to the new
drive.  Then I am going to look for some missing folders that I think may
still be on the drive, but that I have lost somehow.  Once I am convinced
there is nothing worth saving from my current drive, I will format it and name
it /backup.  That is all it will be used for.

As far as the 200gb IDE drive is concerned, I plan to pause until I get more
advice on virtual machines.  Is there anything wrong with this plan?  TIA

Steven
(Trim)