Find <ot>

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Wed May 13 00:22:01 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 12 May 2009 12:26:37 am Ric Moore wrote:
> On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 23:21 -0400, Steven Vollom wrote:
> > May I ask this?  I have never actually lost data due to a broken HDD.
> > Are there any built-in warning mechanisms within HDD's that let you know
> > when they are about worn out?  Do they fail, or break, without warning?
> > How much of a concern should that be?  In 20+ years, I have never had one
> > break.  I have always just replaced them with bigger drives.  I can never
> > be really sure, but I think this may be the last expansion I will ever
> > need for data, so wearing out the drives or actual physical failure are
> > what I am facing now.  Even that may be a bit oxymoronic, I am 66 years
> > old.
>
> Steven, I'll give you 50/50 odds that you not only outlast the hard
> drives,

I hope you are right; my father's side of the family has ruled the genetic
longevity test, until him, the oldest know was to pass at 47.  I am so far
past that now, I think the cycle is broken.  I am going to plan for forever
and accept what I get.  What other choice do I have?

> but live to witness the new birth of the next generation storage
> medium

The way they have been going, you may be right.  Writing programs on gas
molecules is probably next, and tomorrow Quarks.

> ...which I predict will be a tabletop fish bowl of algae. You'll
> be telling the list how you decided to add Miracle Grow and all your
> artwork now looks like Paul Gauguin pieces. <grins> Ric

I like his work.  I even was accused of copying style a bit once.  Didn't like
that much, but at least I was copying a style that is probably better than my
own.