Find

Nils Kassube kassube at gmx.net
Mon May 11 08:55:32 BST 2009

Steven Vollom wrote:
> It gets very difficult some times, especially when two of the people
> I respect most on the list are of opposite belief.  I like you both
> so much, that when I have to make the final decision, I won't be able
> to say, or the other will think I respect him more.

As always when there are conflicting opinions you will have to decide
which side you prefer. I don't think you would hurt anyone's feelings
with your decision, what ever it is. After all, it is your computer and
you have to live with the result.

> A curiosity for my own understanding though.  Is there a limit to how
> many logical partitions can be located within an Extended partition?

Yes, for Linux there is a limit. According to [1] it is 15 for SCSI and
63 for IDE disks. The document seems to be a bit dated because there is
no mention of SATA disks.

> I have sufficient media in my artwork to want to separate them by
> partitions rather than just folders.

I would suggest you use folders even if it makes more sense for you to
use partitions. If you use separate partitions for individual
categories, you will have a lot of wasted space on one partition while
another partition is filled up. I'll try to explain: Let's say you want
to make two partitions for music and videos. The average size of your
video files is 5 times as big as your music files. Therefore you decide
to make a 10GB partition for music and a 50GB partition for videos.
After a while you find out that you have no more space left on your
music partition while there is plenty of space on your video partition.
Now what can you do? You can resize both partitions with the risk of
data loss (and it is very time consuming) or you can backup all those
data and create new partitions with appropriate size and restore the
data from the backup. However, what seems to be the appropriate size
then may be wrong again and you will hit another size limit some time
later.

If you use folders instead, you can write data to the disk until you
reach the size limit of the entire disk, not the limit of individual
partitions.

Nils

[1] <http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Partition/partition-types.html#logical>