kubuntu jaunty hangs frequently

Clay Weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Sun May 10 23:21:19 BST 2009

On Sunday 10 May 2009 3:16:13 pm Akshey Jawa wrote:
>  Hello,
>
> I have a HP dv2500 laptop. Earlier I had kubuntu 8.10 on it and it used to
> work fine. Recently I installed(fresh install, not an upgrade) Kubuntu 9.04
> and since then it hangs frequently(few minutes to few hours after booting).
> I use-
> *
> CPU- Intel Core 2 Duo T2750 @ 2Ghz
> Display- Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller*
>
> *Usually the system hangs/freezes when I click on something. I can still
> move the mouse but the clicks are totally unresponsive. When I press the
> power off button on the laptop, it does not respond sometimes and at other
> times it does shutdown after going to a screen with lot of dotted lines(it
> does not show console messages of shutting down). *
>
> Initially I thought it to be a hardware problem and so got my laptop
> serviced(and cleaned) to bring the CPU temperature down. Now temperature is
> fine but the system still hangs. *Recently I installed same kubuntu(9.04)
> on another system and that system also started giving same problem of
> hanging frequently.* Then I installed kubuntu 8.10 in that machine and it
> is running fine. So I infer that it should not be a problem with hardware.
> Please note that I had written my kubuntu 9.04 CD(32bit) using the iso
> which I downloaded from internet. I had also checked its MD5 checksum after
> downloading. I also installed the 64bit version on my laptop and it also
> gave the same problem.
>
> How can I figure out why the laptop is hanging? I checked the system logs
> but could not find any clue. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Akshey

Its a common bug in the intel video drivers/xorg which are new in Jaunty. I
would first disable any desktop effects

I can find two different workarounds for this
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/ReinhardTartler/X/RevertingIntelDriverTo2.4
or
http://www.ubuntu-inside.me/2009/03/how-to-enable-uxa-at-ubuntu-jaunty.html

I don't have anything using intel video, though I am sure some in here do and
can let us know what worked for them
--
Clay Weber
http://kubuntuforums.net