update-notifier-kde hogging cpu

Willy Hamra w.hamra1987 at gmail.com
Tue May 12 11:13:55 UTC 2009

2009/5/11 Paul S <paulatgm at gmail.com>:
> Anyone else notice update-notifier-kde (0.19) is hogging a lot of cpu?
> top shows python using 1 full cpu here, and ps shows it's
> update-notifier-kde and printer-applet.  killing update-notifier-kde
> drops python off top.

*raises hand*
me! me!
damn, it's killing me, sometimes it shows in the notification area
with a corrupted icon, i know right away something is worng, i hit
CTRL+ESC and boom, a python program which is the notifier is consuming
30~40% (which really is 60~80% since ksysguard doesn't seperate
multithreaded processors). in many times it behaves correctly, it
consumes a bit of CPU while running aptitude update, that is
understandable. but on many other occasions it's plain annoying and
unneeded, and no, there are no package managers in the background
doing an update at the times the program misbehaves. it's weird, and
this is only a recent issue.

--
Willy K. Hamra
Manager of Hamra Information Systems