Random freezes in Kubuntu

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Tue May 12 04:06:38 UTC 2009

On Mon, 2009-05-11 at 10:58 -0700, Eric Marquez wrote:

> @Steven:
> Thanks for your answer. And thanks for the tip, I'll try it. Where
> exactly should I place that line (pci=nomsi )? do you mean in the Grub
> menu?
>
> @Ric:
>  Thanks for your answer... your approach is interesting but, if the
> problem should be Power Supply, why doesn't it happen in Windows
> (remember I have a dual boot), and why didn't it happen when I had
> kde3?

To question #1 Yes, in the grub menu appended to the kernel line.
To question #2 Should be no diff between the systems, but apparently
there is! Can you tell what different is happening? I think you
mentioned overheating and the fan running full tilt? You do have the
power management stuff installed? acpid and acpid support? apmd?? Here's
the description of apmd:

"Debian kernels are built with APM support but it is disabled by
default. You need to boot the kernel with the "apm=on" option if you
want to enable the driver. (You may need to add this option to your
lilo command line.) In most cases, users may want to know that there are
newer power
management schemes, like ACPI.

 Homepage: http://www.worldvisions.ca/~apenwarr/apmd/ "

Maybe this is a direction to persue if it's the CPU / Fans problem? I
run a server boxen, no problems with it so I haven't had to dink with
power management. Just trouble shooting with a shotgun. What you had in
KDE3 probably isn't enabled by default in KDE4?? It's a thought. I have
no experience with laptops or overheating in a server. Maybe I better
learn up on it though. <g> Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987