Specific word locater.

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at ubuntu.com
Sat May 9 18:44:30 BST 2009

Hi steven,

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 18:02, Steven Vollom <stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net> wrote:

> Every time I use the find or locate option in Dolphin, it is only occasional
> that I am able to find what I am looking for.
>
> For instance:  If I type a name of a movie into find, I would expect to find an
> address for that movie every place it existed in my computer, if in fact it
> were in my computer, but that is not the case with Dolphin, as far as I have
> experienced.

You must have an index of your data before being able to find anything:

go to system settings - Advanced Tag -> Desktop search

activate Nepomuk and let it run. This might take some time, depending
on the amount of data you actually have on your computer.
There is a "Advanced settings" tab where you can choose the locations
you want to include into the indexing.
Don't include any system folders, that would make the search useless,
as the locate database underlying every Linux system already contains
those files, so no need to add those again for another index.

Once the indexing completed, which you can see if you check the memory
load of nepomukestorage with top, activate the strigi search feature,
then restart KDE.

IIRC, there are some issues with Strigi, but can't lay a hand on the
relevant bug right now.

Regards, Myriam.

http://www.fsfe.org