Random freezes in Kubuntu

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 10 19:18:09 UTC 2009

On Saturday 09 May 2009 10:36:07 pm Ric Moore wrote:
> On Sat, 2009-05-09 at 07:29 -0700, Eric Marquez wrote:
> > marc said:
> > >9.04 is definitely running a lot hotter here. I have also noticed
> >
> > that
> >
> > >kwin sometimes "runs away"; sits at 50%+ cpu, which causes things to
> >
> > run
> >
> > >very hot. I've no idea what is setting this off, but now that I'm
> >
> > aware
> >
> > >of it, I've started watching.
> > >
> > >I'd try running without compositing: System Settings/Desktop/Enable
> > >desktop effects -> unchecked.
> > >
> > >Xref this bug, I'm pretty sure that there are a few xorg + video
> >
> > driver
> >
> > >bugs lurking - there are large regressions in 9.04:
> >
> > Ric Moore said:
> > > What nvidia drivers do you have installed?? If I were you, I'd
> >
> > install
> >
> > >the envyNG package and let it install your nVidia for you. Drivers
> >
> > like
> >
> > >NV just don't cut it if you want/need the real deal with everything
> > >cooking. I run Java 3D Wonderland and it'll bark, howl and die with
> > >anything else than the driver from nVidia. Not trying to be
> >
> > politically
> >
> > >incorrect here, but either it works or it don't. Give that a whirl.
> > >Sounds like you have nothing to loose. Ric
> >
> > marc, ric: my computer freezes even without video drivers installed.
> > The day I formatted the system and installed kubuntu, it was
> > freezed before installing anything. I have the 180.51 nvidia driver
> > right now. And it happens with/out the desktop effects. And the
> > problem is not exclusive of Jaunty. This is been happening since I
> > upgraded from kde3 to kde4 (with 8.04).
> >  Personally, I suspect it doesn't have to do with drivers (at least
> > not with the ones I've installed)... but with some hardware
> > problem/incompatibility... I'd like to know if there is some way to
> > diagnose this.
> >  Ric, I'll try your envyNG suggestion anyway...
> >  Any other suggestion?
>
> Wow, it sounds darn near like a power supply problem. When I first
> bought my then Big Tower and did a fresh install to it, which was flaky
> from beginning to end. It worked for several hours then the desktop
> would disappear, or random segfaults and just crazy things happening. No
> two crashes were alike, and it wasn't until the second/third day someone
> told me "power supply". So, I went back to the dealer, he replaced it
> and several years later, if something strange happens, it's the idiot
> between the chair and the keyboard fault. The system itself has been
> very consistent since. I dunno, trouble shooting with a shotgun. Hey
> Gene, what do you think?? :) Ric

> Linux user# 44256
> https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
> Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987
If you have an nVidia chip on your motherboard or an nVidia Gforce video card,
especially if it is a high end chip on the board, you may have to add
pci=nomsi to your boot instructions.  It fixed my problem.  My board chip is an
nVidia 780a and my video card is 9600 G force nVidia.  I don't like to give
any advice, due to my inexperience, however, it cured my problem, and it is
hard not to at least try to help, after all you have done for me.

Steven

Steven

Steven