kubuntu jaunty hangs frequently

Akshey Jawa aksheyjawa at gmail.com
Sun May 10 19:16:13 UTC 2009

 Hello,

I have a HP dv2500 laptop. Earlier I had kubuntu 8.10 on it and it used to
work fine. Recently I installed(fresh install, not an upgrade) Kubuntu 9.04
and since then it hangs frequently(few minutes to few hours after booting).
I use-
*
CPU- Intel Core 2 Duo T2750 @ 2Ghz
Display- Mobile GM965/GL960 Integrated Graphics Controller*

*Usually the system hangs/freezes when I click on something. I can still
move the mouse but the clicks are totally unresponsive. When I press the
power off button on the laptop, it does not respond sometimes and at other
times it does shutdown after going to a screen with lot of dotted lines(it
does not show console messages of shutting down). *

Initially I thought it to be a hardware problem and so got my laptop
serviced(and cleaned) to bring the CPU temperature down. Now temperature is
fine but the system still hangs. *Recently I installed same kubuntu(9.04) on
another system and that system also started giving same problem of hanging
frequently.* Then I installed kubuntu 8.10 in that machine and it is running
fine. So I infer that it should not be a problem with hardware. Please note
that I had written my kubuntu 9.04 CD(32bit) using the iso which I
downloaded from internet. I had also checked its MD5 checksum after
downloading. I also installed the 64bit version on my laptop and it also
gave the same problem.

How can I figure out why the laptop is hanging? I checked the system logs
but could not find any clue. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Akshey