Jaunty: How to install a USB printer?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Sat May 9 06:08:33 BST 2009

On Fri, 2009-05-08 at 08:15 +0000, marc wrote:
> Ric Moore said:

> > But this may shed some light... When I worked at RedHat, I could never
> > get my Ex's printer to work. Darn embarrassing to be on the Help Desk
> > fixing everyone elses printers. We had one whizbang that fired up emacs,
> > had ten terminals with code pouring down the screens like the matrix.
> > Impressed me! Then he started narrowing down the problem to samba not
> > being configured correctly. I'm going she doesn't NEED Samba and I
> > ripped it out. The printer worked right off. Samba was trying to network
> > a printer that hadn't been configured correctly for the system. The cart
> > before the horse, so to speak. You can rip out Samba, after saving
> > config files if you need it or rip it out for good if you don't need it.
> > One less thing in the way.
>
> I'll give that a spin. Thanks.

Let us know how it works. I later re-installed Samba on her machine and
it picked up on the local printer it found and configured it for use
easily. I guess it needs to be configured locally before the install of
samba. It would be interesting if this was indeed the case. Good Luck!
Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987