Find

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sun May 10 12:58:49 UTC 2009

On Saturday 09 May 2009 07:19:39 pm Michael Hirsch wrote:
> On Fri, May 8, 2009 at 5:04 PM, Steven Vollom
>
> <stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> > Earlier, perhaps a month or more, I couldn't get stored info into my
> > appropriate partition.  I wanted to keep the data from entering the boot
> > partition, because of the small size of the boot partition, 20gb.  I
> > pasted my /home/ steven folder that contained what I wanted in the
> > storage partition into /media/disk-1, a large partition outside the
> > Operating System partition. Afterward the stored items were in a
> > partition large enough to hold them. Nonetheless, when I open Dolphin, it
> > contains /home/steven on the boot partition.  Anytime I download a movie,
> > it would save to the
> > /CompletedDownloaded folder on the /boot drive, which would fill the
> > partition up quite fast.  So, I cut the /home/steven, and pasted it into
> > the /media/disk-1/partition.  Now all that data is saved to a partition
> > large enough to hold it.  Then I put a Quick Access widget on the panel
> > with the address to the /media/disk-1/steven so that I could easily
> > obtain access to all the data in that partition.
>
> Steven,
>
> Here are 3 potential solutions for you.
>
> 1. As other have suggetsed, you can shange the location where various
> apps store their downloads.  The downside to this is that you must
> configure each application separately.
>
> 2. I would recommend that you move your entire /home directory to
> another partition.  mount your (empty) partition at say /media/mnt and
> copy all of home there "sudo cp -a /home/* /media/mnt".  Now edit your
> /etc/fstab.  Add a line to mount your formerly empty partition at
> /home.  Reboot.
>
> When you reboot your /home will be the new partition.  since it is
> done by a mount, it is transparent to any applications.  All home
> files will be kept on the partition.
>
> 3. Use symlinks.  I do this for my media files.  I mount the other
> partition on /Media and I create directories on another partition with
> lots of space named, say, "Videos" or "Music".  Then I create symbolic
> links to them "ln -s /Media/Music $HOME".  Then I make sure that such
> files are put in "~/Music".  This has some similarities to solution 1.
>
> For simplicity, you can't beat solution 1.  It has a second benefit of
> keeping your home directories separate from your OS files, so if you
> even need to reinstall the OS, or put in an alternate OS, you can do
> so without worrying about your home files.
>
> Michael
I am very confused.  I may have even done that, I don't know.  Is there a
command that would reveal what I have that I could send to you to look at and
evaluate?  And, are you willing?

From another adviser of the List, I have been told to change my partitions
from currently primary  boot partition, Extended partition containing 2
storage partitions plus the swap partition to four primary partitions.  I am
not sure how to do that without losing data.

Because I was having trouble getting permission to use my storage partitions,
I copied the /steven directory of /home/steven to /media/disk-1/ , which is
one of the storage partitions.  It contains all of the folders and files of my
/home folder.  That allowed me to store all data in a partition that did not
contain the OS or any other applications.  But I have been having troubles.
And although I like very much to have all data stored separate from the
packages that run in my system, it hasn't worked perfectly.

Additionally I am getting so much varied advice to this problem, I am getting
confused about what to do.  That does not mean I am ungrateful, just confused.

Steven