Kubuntu Security Tools

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at ubuntu.com
Sat May 9 18:16:39 UTC 2009

Hi Steven,

On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 19:44, Steven Vollom <stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
> On Saturday 09 May 2009 01:15:37 pm Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
>> Hi Steven,
>>
>> On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 18:01, Steven Vollom <stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net>
> wrote:
>> > Are the Kubuntu Security Tools included in the OS download?  If not is
>> > there an application that contains all the Kubuntu Security Tools?
>>
>> What do you mean by "Kubuntu Security Tools"? What security features
>> do you expect to be covered?
> (Trimmed)
> I am a bit embarrassed, Myriam.  I have been focusing on some complicated
> issues and don't remember exactly what spurred that post.  I was working a
> problem that involved research
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving, during the reading
> of the instructions it made reference to Kubuntu Security Tools and offered a
> download.

There is no particular package that would give you *all* security
tools, and there are various definitions of what a security tool could
be:

- gpg for signing and encrypting files,
- iptables etc. for firewall settings,
- clamav for virus scanning,
- kdewallet for storing passwords in an encrypted wallet,
etc.

Basically, a Linux installation like Kubuntu is a secure system, as
there are no open ports by default that would allow intrusions without
anybody noticing. Ports are opened when the user decides to do so and
usually do not remain open without need. This of course always depends
on the user behavior, like not using root logins without absolute
necessity, etc.

Also, some of the so called "security tools" are part of the basic
installation, so for the average user there is no need to install more
for every day use.

Regards, Myriam.
http://www.fsfe.org