Find

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Sat May 9 17:22:56 UTC 2009

(Trimmed)
> > Steven
>
> Lets see... you want to move all the contents of your /home/steven to
> /media/disk-1/steven, right?
> You have been doing something to try to do that, creating folders,
> moving stuff around and such.
> But everytime you open Dolphin is "insists", in showing you the stuff
> at /home/steven right?

Early in the attempt at working around the problem, I created a folder and
copied the 'steven' folder of /home/steven into that folder.  I called it
steven just like it was named previously, and put it into /media/disk-1, which
is the storage partition that I wanted all data transferred into.  That would
take it off the '/' boot partition which contained my OS and all other
applications.  I instructed the torrent program to move data to the folders in
the /steven folder in the storage partition.  The self-same folders still
exhisted in the boot partition, but were no longer intended to be used to
store large downloads.  In any event I was unable to figure out how to instruct
the computer to move data to the Download folder in the disk-1 partition; data
was transferred to the boot partition of the same name instead.  Likewise,
when the download was complete, it was to be transferred to the
CompletedDownloads file, from which I would go to use the data.

Apparently since the /home/steven folder contains all the original data and
folders, the torrent program continues to send the data to those folders,
defeating the purpose I created in the path.  I changed the path in the
Torrent application to send to /media/disk-1/steven/ which should have
directed the files there, but instead the computer continues to put them in the
same-named folder in the boot partition.

My work-around has been to monitor the downloads and upon completion and
upload of the data to other torrent users, then manually remove and place the
data in /media/disk-1/steven.

As you can see, I am not the brightest bulb on the tree, but I have been able
to keep from accidentally overloading my boot partition which would crash the
system.

Now that I have instructed Ktorrent the appropriate path to follow, it still
resists the instruction, and I seem to be stuck with the old path and the
extra manual labor.

> For what I get you are trying to move your home folder to another
> partition, what, really, is not as simple as moving a folder around,
> because you have just moved the contents of the folder, but Linux
> still "knows" it is located in /home/steven.
> If you really want to move it to other partition take a look here:
> https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Partitioning/Home/Moving
>
> Know that this is kind of a "advanced" option, so you might endup with
> a system where you can't logon as your normal user (nothing you can't
> recovery of, but still worth the warning).
>
> But, if all you want is to save your stuff in other folders your best
> bet is to change the configuration of you apps, like ktorrent, so that
> they save stuff on /media/disk-1/torrent (for example).
This is what I did.  In Ktorrent, I created the following
/media/disk-1/Downloads (for data that was in the process of downloading) then
/media/disk-1/CompletedDownloads for the completed download to be held
permanently.  I also created the /media/disk-1/Torrents folder, but the
torrents never end up there.  Don't know why, and Downloads continue to go to
the Download folder on the root partition, where I have to leave them until I
have uploaded as much as I have downloaded.  Then I manually move the data to
the CompletedDownloads folder of /media/disk-1/steven/CompletedDownloads.  My
goal had been to have the downloads go directly to
/media/disk-1/steven/Downloads, then automatically move finished to the
permanent location CompletedDownloads.

I also installed a Quick Access widget to the panel and changed the address to
/media/disk-1/steven and all saved data became immediately available from
there.  When it is working, it is wonderful.  Everything, photos, movies,
commandline code, documents, even my desktop was there fast and efficient.
Additionally no data is vulnerable to a system failure; only a broken hard-
drive could cause loss of the data.  My new HDD will be used for backup only,
and everything should be safe from there on.

My friend Dotan Cohen has recommended that I change my partitions from
Extended, which contains my storage partitions to primary partitions, so I am
inclined to do that prior to using your website reference.  I hope I am up to
the task of the site you referred me; I am still a little green in the use of
the konsole.  Thanks for the help; if you see any holes in my understanding,
please reply with a warning, so I avoid losing data.

Steven