Random freezes in Kubuntu

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Fri May 8 09:53:05 BST 2009

Eric Marquez Nava said:

>  I've told this story so many times.... nobody has been able to give me
> solution. There should be at least some way to DIAGNOSE the problem.
> Maybe not solve it, but to diagnose it, in order to know the source of
> the problem. Maybe some log, some test.
>  Guys, I'd really appreciate your insights on this. I don't want to
>  abandon kubuntu, but I'm running out of options.

9.04 is definitely running a lot hotter here. I have also noticed that
kwin sometimes "runs away"; sits at 50%+ cpu, which causes things to run
very hot. I've no idea what is setting this off, but now that I'm aware
of it, I've started watching.

I'd try running without compositing: System Settings/Desktop/Enable
desktop effects -> unchecked.

Xref this bug, I'm pretty sure that there are a few xorg + video driver
bugs lurking - there are large regressions in 9.04:

  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xserver-xorg-video-ati/
+bug/351990

Also, it's worth installing and running htop in preference to top, it
provides a lot of useful info in an easily accessible way.

--
Best,
Marc