podcasts on CNN

Pyotr Kropotkin pyotr at riseup.net
Fri May 8 20:20:47 UTC 2009

> When I type in apt-get install quicktime, I get a "couldn't find
> package" response.  What is the Linux equivalent?

You'll want to install either the totem-mozilla or the mozilla-mplayer
package - either one should provide the plugin you need. Your friendly
neighborhood package manager (synaptic, aptitude, etc.) should do the
trick; for example, to install using aptitude you'll ned to open up a
terminal and type

    sudo aptitude install totem-mozilla

to install the totem-mozilla plugin and its dependencies.

I've had mixed success playing MP4/M4V files with the codecs available
on a vanilla *buntu system. I would suggest also installing the
non-free-codecs provided by the Medibuntu project. You can find
instructions about how to do so here:

    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

Doing so will also ensure you have functional installations of Flash,
Java, etc.

Hope this helps!

                                                    - Pyotr
                                                        pyotr at riseup.net