Update to Jaunty and KDE4

Rob Wright debianrob at poncacity.net
Thu May 7 18:36:14 BST 2009

Greetings,

I've been using Linux with KDE as my desktop for quite some time and I'm
pretty comfortable with it, how it looks, how it works, and how I've had it
setup for years. Right now I've got Hardy installed and I want to go ahead
and update to Jaunty, but frankly I'm afraid of moving to KDE4.

I've installed KDE4 a couple of times to look at it and I just feel lost.
Basic tasks, like adding an application to the taskbar as a shortcut just
don't seem possible, for instance. Other things like "why are the desktop
icons so freakin' big and with an interactive border?" have just kept me away
from KDE4 to this point, but I realize that I can't stay stuck in 3.5
forever.

Does anybody know of any howtos or guides for old stick in the muds like me
that need to change but don't really have the time to spend totally
relearning a desktop system? Searching around the 'net I find all kinds of
stuff with information on the cool new features, but not anything that tells
me how to do the stuff I've always done, or a side by side comparison of if
you did $THIS in KDE3, you'll do $THAT in KDE4.

Thanks for any information, links or helpful advice,

Rob Wright
debianrob at poncacity.net