Jaunty: How to install a USB printer?

Ric Moore wayward4now at gmail.com
Fri May 8 04:25:13 UTC 2009

On Thu, 2009-05-07 at 21:29 +0000, marc wrote:
> Lisi Reisz said:
>
> > On Thursday 07 May 2009 17:05:28 marc wrote:
> >> The problem is that there's nothing to inform me what the URI should
> >> be. I have no idea, as I very, very rarely print - I have a strict (as
> >> possible) no paper policy.
> >
> > I didn't have to tell CUPS the URL of my printers - CUPS finds them and
> > tells me where they are.  (It even picks up printers connected to other
> > computers in the network and can happily print on them.)
> >
> > There does indeed seem to be something a little strange going on. :-(
>
> I don't understand how a URI of:
>
>   parallel:/dev/lp0
>
> is going to work for a usb printer. That's what is produced. But then
> there are no other options except parallel port or network printer. I'm
> surely not the only person out here with a usb printer!
>
> Does anyone know how I can go about construction the URI for the usb port?
>
> Presumably, it's something like:
>
>   usb:/...

Huh, my HP printer has been running with USB for 3-4 years. Marc, I just
noticed that I don't even have my USB printer plugged in. I had the
machine down for the weekend and haven't plugged it's USB cable back to
my printer. Ergo, to my system I have no printer at all. The CUPS page
came right up in Firefox though. Something must be buggers on your end.
"Works For Me<tm>" Maybe rip out cups and re-install it?? Your localhost
does resolve to 127.0.0.1?? ifconfig shows that? Yeah, I'd be banging my
head too.

But this may shed some light... When I worked at RedHat, I could never
get my Ex's printer to work. Darn embarrassing to be on the Help Desk
fixing everyone elses printers. We had one whizbang that fired up emacs,
had ten terminals with code pouring down the screens like the matrix.
Impressed me! Then he started narrowing down the problem to samba not
being configured correctly. I'm going she doesn't NEED Samba and I
ripped it out. The printer worked right off. Samba was trying to network
a printer that hadn't been configured correctly for the system. The cart
before the horse, so to speak. You can rip out Samba, after saving
config files if you need it or rip it out for good if you don't need it.
One less thing in the way. Ric

Linux user# 44256
https://nuoar.dev.java.net/
Verizon Cell # 434-774-4987