Random freezes in Kubuntu

Eric Marquez Nava eamner at yahoo.com
Fri May 8 03:33:48 UTC 2009

marc said:

>Please switch off HTML. Because...

I checked it on the kubuntu-lists archive (web) and it looks fine.... but
alright, I turned off the option and I'll send it again:
 Hello. This is my first message in this list.
I've posted my problem in many forums, but so far nobody has given me a
solution to my problem. I'm really desperate.
My computer randomly gets freezed since I upgraded to KDE4. I mean totally
freezed. Nothing works: mouse, keyboard... nothing. More strangely: after a
few minutes (sometimes could be 5, sometimes 10, or more...), it comes back
to life. And after it returns, the computer clock has been delayed for the
amount of time it was "freezed".
 It all began when I started using KDE4. I NEVER had this problem with KDE3.
I used kde3 with kubuntu 6.06. I started using kde4 with 8.04 and that's
when my problem began. Recently I fresh-installed Jaunty, which is my
current distro.
 It could happen only once a day, or it could happen 20 times a day... it's
totally random.
 There's no special application that I'm running when it happens. I could be
just surfing the net with firefox, or I could be just using the console.
Somebody advised me to put the "top" command on screen to see if there's any
special process consuming 100% of the cpu. But there's nothing special
there. Sometimes when it happens, the fan coolers work harder, as if some
application would be consuming a lot, but I don't see nothing in "top".
 I have suspected of some failure in my hard drives, but others tell me to
suspect of another hardware failure, like video.
 I already ran a fdisk test (from a live cd). Found no badblocks.
 This is my configuration:
 Pentium 4, 3ghz; 2GM Ram; Nvidia geforce 7300gt (with latest drivers);
SBLive 5.1 soundcard. Now, I have a DUAL BOOT configuration (WinXP/Kubuntu)
with 2 hard drives: 1 SATA 80GB for windows and 1 IDE 30GB for kubuntu. This
was my same configuration when I had kde3, and never had problems with it.
 I have 1.2gb for swap memory, but for some reason, always "0" is used.

 I've told this story so many times.... nobody has been able to give me a
solution. There should be at least some way to DIAGNOSE the problem. Maybe
not solve it, but to diagnose it, in order to know the source of the
problem. Maybe some log, some test.
 Guys, I'd really appreciate your insights on this. I don't want to abandon
kubuntu, but I'm running out of options.

Greetings,
Eric.
http://eamner.hispasonicos.com