fglrx and KDE

Wolfgang Jeltsch 4cqncnl7 at acme.softbase.org
Thu May 7 16:04:44 BST 2009

Am Donnerstag, 7. Mai 2009 15:53 schrieb Antonio Augusto (Mancha):
> I've an RS482 (Radeon XPress 200M),

Hah, probably the same thing, I have. :-)

> and with Jaunty everything works fine with KDE 4.2 and Jaunty.
> I've effects anabled and I see no slowdown at all (just some increase
> in memory usage, but this is expected).

How much video RAM do you have?

> Also, I've nothing set on my xorg.conf, Xorg automatically detects the
> optmial settings for me :)

I have now the following in xorg.conf:

	Option	"AccelMethod" "XAA"
	Option	"EnablePageFlip" "true"
	Option	"TripleBuffer" "true"

In addition, I have set “Keep window thumbnails” to “Always” in System
Settings. It seems as if desktop effects are much more smooth now.

However, there is an interesting effect: If some “animation” is not so smooth
and I exactly repeat it then it is much smoother the second time. An example:
I move the mouse into the top left corner. An overview of all windows
appears. I click on some window. The window moves into the foreground but not
smoothly. I move the mouse to the top left corner a second time and click on
the same window. Now, the animation is smooth. If I had clicked on a
different window, it wouldn’t have been smooth.

Has anyone an idea why this is? Does KWin or some other component cache
animations?

> Also, the page you have been pointed too might be a little outdated,
> to see all the current supported options take a look at the manual
> page of radeon (man radeon).

Okay, I’ll have a look. However, the man page won’t tell me the undocumented
options. ;-)

> Hope this helps.

Thank you for your answer.

Best wishes,