KDE4 unusefull in a toshiba satellite A70

Antonio Augusto (Mancha) mkhaos7 at gmail.com
Thu May 7 12:02:56 BST 2009

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 03:52, Myriam Schweingruber <myriam at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> Hi Irving,
>
> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 06:39, Irving Leonard
> <irving.lp at feestudiantes.cujae.edu.cu> wrote:
>> I have a Toshiba Satellite A70, that have an ATI Mobility Radeon 9000IGP and
>> the default kubuntu install give me a system with few visual effects and a lot
>> of CPU utilization.
>
> I guess it's Xorg that eats up the CPU, likely because of the buggy
> fglrx driver in Jaunty. You might be better off with the radeon driver
> instead.

He is probably not using the fglrx driver since it does not support
the 9000IGP he has.

>> Disabling the desktop effects gives very small improve but
>> still huge CPU load; over 70% and just hovering over emails in kmail, with
>> kontact using +30% and xorg +40%.
>
> What power does your laptop have? Please give the CPU and the amount
> of RAM. If you have less than 512 MB of RAM you should consider using
> another desktop like Xubuntu.

CPU and RAM are factors that should be take in account before bashing
the desktop, or even suggesting you to migrate to Xubuntu and the
like.
As Miryan suggested, post your specfication so we can give more
educated guesses.

Cheers