Update to Jaunty and KDE4

Goh Lip g.lip at gmx.com
Thu May 7 18:39:34 UTC 2009

Rob Wright wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I've been using Linux with KDE as my desktop for quite some time and I'm
> pretty comfortable with it, how it looks, how it works, and how I've had it
> setup for years. Right now I've got Hardy installed and I want to go ahead
> and update to Jaunty, but frankly I'm afraid of moving to KDE4.
>
> I've installed KDE4 a couple of times to look at it and I just feel lost.
> Basic tasks, like adding an application to the taskbar as a shortcut just
> don't seem possible, for instance. Other things like "why are the desktop
> icons so freakin' big and with an interactive border?" have just kept me away
> from KDE4 to this point, but I realize that I can't stay stuck in 3.5
> forever.
>
> Does anybody know of any howtos or guides for old stick in the muds like me
> that need to change but don't really have the time to spend totally
> relearning a desktop system? Searching around the 'net I find all kinds of
> stuff with information on the cool new features, but not anything that tells
> me how to do the stuff I've always done, or a side by side comparison of if
> you did $THIS in KDE3, you'll do $THAT in KDE4.
>
> Thanks for any information, links or helpful advice,
>
> Rob Wright
> debianrob at poncacity.net

One of the things you could do is to change the K menu from kickoff
style to classic style. You need to unlock widget at panel first. The
cashew not nut thingy. Then you can get rid of the desktop widgets if
you want a cleaner, uncluttered desktop. And....the list goes on.

I am not young myself but never too old unstuck in the muds, glad to try
out rather than read howtos or guides.

Regards,
Goh Lip

An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.
                            - - - Gandhi