KDE4 unusefull in a toshiba satellite A70

Irving Leonard irving.lp at feestudiantes.cujae.edu.cu
Thu May 7 15:34:20 UTC 2009

On Jueves 07 Mayo 2009 07:02:56 AM Antonio Augusto (Mancha) escribió:
> On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 03:52, Myriam Schweingruber <myriam at ubuntu.com>
wrote:
> > Hi Irving,
> >
> > On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 06:39, Irving Leonard
> >
> > <irving.lp at feestudiantes.cujae.edu.cu> wrote:
> >> I have a Toshiba Satellite A70, that have an ATI Mobility Radeon 9000IGP
> >> and the default kubuntu install give me a system with few visual effects
> >> and a lot of CPU utilization.
> >
> > I guess it's Xorg that eats up the CPU, likely because of the buggy
> > fglrx driver in Jaunty. You might be better off with the radeon driver
> > instead.
>
> He is probably not using the fglrx driver since it does not support
> the 9000IGP he has.
No I don't, the default installation (without me changing things) came with
the radeon driver enabled and direct rendering (checked with glxinfo).

> >> Disabling the desktop effects gives very small improve but
> >> still huge CPU load; over 70% and just hovering over emails in kmail,
> >> with kontact using +30% and xorg +40%.
> >
> > What power does your laptop have? Please give the CPU and the amount
> > of RAM. If you have less than 512 MB of RAM you should consider using
> > another desktop like Xubuntu.
>
> CPU and RAM are factors that should be take in account before bashing
> the desktop, or even suggesting you to migrate to Xubuntu and the
> like.
> As Miryan suggested, post your specfication so we can give more
> educated guesses.

This is the PSA70C-DD100E model
(http://www.toshiba.ca/web/product.grp?lg=en&section=1&group=223&product=3150&part=2631#spectop)
it has a Celeron D 335 @ 2.8GHz 256KB L2, 512MB RAM - 64MB for Video; as I
said ATI Mobility Radeon 9000IGP (missdetected by ubuntu as 9100IGP), original
BIOS.
I had hardy for over a year and it worked almost perfect, I can't see that
resource needs of jaunty (kde4). Also, as I lately said, a friend of mine have
the same software configuration on a dell inspiron 1300, that is very similar
to this one, maybe the main diferences are that he has a pentium CPU and intel
graphics, and works great. The RAM is not the main reason because I use almost
no swap, the CPU utilization doesn't goes with the swap utilization, so I
think is not the RAM.
regards
irving

VI Conferencia Internacional de Energía Renovable, Ahorro de Energía y Educación Energética
9 - 12 de Junio 2009, Palacio de las Convenciones
...Por una cultura energética sustentable
www.ciercuba.com