fglrx and KDE

clay weber claydoh at midmaine.com
Thu May 7 13:03:59 UTC 2009

Wolfgang Jeltsch wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I use Kubuntu Jaunty with the open source radeon driver. My graphics chip is
> (most likely) an RS480.
>
> KDE’s desktop effects aren’t smooth with this setup. However, desktop effects
> worked quite well when I used Ubuntu Intrepid with Compiz Fusion and the
> proprietary fglrx driver. I’ve heard that 3D performance is better with the
> fglrx driver. So I wonder if the performance problems have to do with KDE or
> with the open source driver. Has anyone experiences with KDE vs.
> GNOME/Compiz Fusion and radeon vs. fglrx?
>
> Furthermore, I’ve heard that X.org 1.6 won’t come with an fglrx driver that
> works with older chips (like, e.g, my RS480). Is this true?
>
> Best wishes,
> Wolfgang

The older versions of fglrx do not work with Xorg 1.6. There is a
compatible fglrx driver available from the repos, I am using it with my
Radeon HD 3200. But that driver does not support some (not very) older
cards anymore.

If your card is not supported by the new fglrx driver, you can read here
for some info on the ati/radeon driver:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/RadeonDriver

Specifically the links at the bottom have some good info for xorg tweaks
for the closed source driver.

Clay Weber