Jaunty: How to install a USB printer?

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at ubuntu.com
Thu May 7 08:58:34 UTC 2009

Hi Marc,

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 10:33, marc <gmane at auxbuss.com> wrote:
> marc said:

>> There's no option to a add local printer!
>>
>> Entering New Network Printer provides a bewildering set of options, but
>> there is Other. However, clicking this only provides the option to enter
>> the device URI!
>>
>> I've tried:
>>
>>   http://localhost:631

In admin mode I suppose?

> So, is the net result of this thread, that it's impossible to print with
> a Canon Pixmar ip5300?

did you check this site:

http://www.openprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Canon-PIXMA_iP5300

for another driver eventually?

> Seems completely bizarre to me.

Well, there IS a bug in the printer configuration settings, as no
local printer option is given, but if you can't even install it
through localhost:631 there really is something strange. There have
been some CUPS upgrades recently, maybe have a look on this side.

Regards, Myriam.
http://www.fsfe.org