System settings > Desktop > Enable desktop effects causes fglrx to cycle

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at ubuntu.com
Thu May 7 07:41:40 UTC 2009

Hi Dave,

On Thu, May 7, 2009 at 09:01, dave selby <dave6502 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> Still having the same problem, in addition around one in every 5-10
> KDE starts, when the KDE startup screen has finished the screen goes
> totally blank and even ctrl-alt-f1 does zip, I suspect this is the
> display driver as well.

You are lucky that you managed to start a desktop, for most people the
fglrx driver just freezes the PC at KDM start. It does so for me, and
I have the same graphic card than your wife's PC.

> vanda at vanda-system:~$ sudo lshw | grep display -nA 10
> 96:           *-display
> 98-                product: RV635 PRO AGP [Radeon HD 3650]
> 99-                vendor: ATI Technologies Inc
> 100-                physical id: 0
> 101-                bus info: pci at 0000:01:00.0
> 102-                version: 00
> 103-                width: 32 bits
> 104-                clock: 66MHz
> 105-                capabilities: pm agp agp-3.0 bus_master cap_list
> 106-                configuration: driver=fglrx_pci latency=255
> mingnt=8 module=fglrx
> vanda at vanda-system:~$
>
> Any ideas anyone ?

Well, yes, see this bug report:

https://bugs.edge.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/fglrx-installer/+bug/314600

The only possibility is to use the free Radeon driver for now and
either disable the desktop effects or only have a minimal set of
effects by using the XRender compositing and wait till ATI provides a
working fglrx driver :(

Regards, Myriam.

http://www.fsfe.org