Jaunty: How to install a USB printer?

Myriam Schweingruber myriam at ubuntu.com
Wed May 6 15:45:01 UTC 2009

Hi all,

On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 14:08, Richard S. Crawford
<rscrawford at mossroot.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 6, 2009 at 4:59 AM, Sascha G├╝thling
> <guethling at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> The USB printer is under local printers on my system. I have another
>> printer, that is a network printer, that also appears under local
>> printers. That's as strange as having a USB printer under network
>> printers.
>
> I wonder if this is a Jaunty thing or a KDE 4.2 thing? Either way,
> it's annoying.

It is a Jaunty problem, doesn't happen in OpenSuSE 11.1 which I
tested, although on an other computer than this one.

In this one I was able to configure my USB printer with Intrepid, it
worked briefly with Alpha 5, and has gone again in Jaunty final (all
clean installs). The local printer option has just simply gone.

I can configure the printer with the CUPS administration tool though.

Regards, Myriam.
http://www.fsfe.org