Jaunty: How to install a USB printer?

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Wed May 6 10:31:51 UTC 2009

Hi,

I want to install a usb printer that's connected to my machine. I can't
figure out how to do this in jaunty.

The docs say:

  http://www.kubuntu.org/docs/kquickguide/C/ch02s05.html

Which is no help :-(

System Setting has nothing in General, which seems weird to me, but there
is Printer Config in Advanced.

However, Printer Config only offers options for New Network Printer,
which this isn't, or New Printer Class, which is a mystery.

There's no option to a add local printer!

Entering New Network Printer provides a bewildering set of options, but
there is Other. However, clicking this only provides the option to enter
the device URI!

I've tried:

  http://localhost:631

I presume I need to "build" the URI somehow. Any ideas?

--
Best,
Marc