Lockup

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Wed May 6 07:10:22 UTC 2009

Web1 said:

> [...]
> </IncrdiX-Info>
> <IncrdiXMLRemarkEnd-->
> </HEAD>
> <BODY style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; MARGIN: 5px 10px 10px; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"
> bgColor=#ffffff background="" scroll=yes> <TABLE id=INCREDIMAINTABLE
> cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 width="100%" border=0> <TBODY>
> <TR>
> <TD id=INCREDITEXTREGION style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt; DIRECTION: ltr"
> width="100%"> <DIV>Thanks Cary but please know that I am new to Kubuntu
> and need step by step help.  I am learning but the only experience
> I have ever had was with windows 95 and beyond.  I don't really
> understand DOS.  So please have patience with me.</DIV>
> <DIV> </DIV>
> <DIV>I am using a Asus M2N-E motherboard-----AMD Athlon 64X2 duel core
> 3800+</DIV> <DIV> </DIV>
> <DIV>Does that help at all?</DIV>
> <DIV> </DIV>
> <DIV>Web</DIV>
> <DIV> </DIV>
> <DIV>Web1 wrote:</DIV>
> <DIV>> Hi,</DIV>
> <DIV>></DIV>
> <DIV>> I updated to the latest release of Kubuntu and have installed
> all the</DIV> <DIV>> updates the update manager calls
> for.  My problem appears to be with</DIV> <DIV>> firefox,
> which has been updated to the latest releases.  It loads
> fine</DIV> <DIV>> and appears to work fine until I click on links and
> more times than</DIV> <DIV>> not the whole system will totally lock
> up and require a reboot.  I did</DIV> <DIV>> not have this
> problem before I upgraded from the previous most current</DIV> <DIV>>
> kubuntu release.</DIV>
> <DIV>></DIV>
> <DIV>> Could firefox was installed prior to the latest
> upgrade.  Should I</DIV> <DIV>> uninstall it and reinstall
> it on the new kubuntu upgrade.  I think it</DIV> <DIV>>
> might be related to firefox needing to access the Internet when I</DIV>
> <DIV>> click on a link.  It doesn't happen all the time but
> when it does it</DIV> <DIV>> completely locks everything
> up.  At least it appears that way.</DIV> <DIV>></DIV>
> <DIV>> My mail works fine all the time.  Another thing I
> was thinking is that</DIV> <DIV>> it might be the mouse driver and
> the new upgrade?  I know the mouse</DIV> <DIV>> works good
> on my other drive with windows xp installed, so if it is</DIV> <DIV>>
> anything it could be a compatibility issue with the new upgrade.</DIV>
> <DIV>></DIV>
> <DIV>> Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.</DIV>
> <DIV>></DIV>
> <DIV>> Thanks and you do a great job on this forum.</DIV>
> <DIV>></DIV>
> <DIV>> Web</DIV>
> <DIV>></DIV>
> <DIV>></DIV>
> <DIV>></DIV>
> <DIV>Per chance are you using a Intel graphics chipset? if you are try
> this</DIV> <DIV>as it worked for me. sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf</DIV>

<DIV>        Identifier      "Configured
> Video Device"</DIV>

<DIV>        Option          "AccelMethod"
> "uxa"</DIV> <DIV> </DIV>
> <DIV>EndSection</DIV>
> <DIV> </DIV>
> <DIV><snip></DIV>
> <DIV> </DIV>
> <DIV>Cary</DIV></TD></TR>
> <TR>
> <TD id=INCREDIFOOTER width="100%">
> <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"> <TBODY>
> <TR>
> <TD width="100%"></TD>
> <TD id=INCREDISOUND vAlign=bottom
> align=middle></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></
BODY></HTML>

Welcome to Kubuntu; you join us during interesting times.

Allow me to pointed out a few conventions to you.

- Please switch off html when replying to this list.
- Please post below other replies; we call it bottom-posting.
- Please trim your conversations to the relevant parts only.

You can see the mess I've made by not adhering to these conventions!

Thanks. Enjoy Linux and Kubuntu.

--
Best,
Marc