Lockup

Cary Bielenberg cary at bielenberg.id.au
Wed May 6 03:15:27 UTC 2009

Web1 wrote:
> Thanks Cary but please know that I am new to Kubuntu and need step by
> step help.  I am learning but the only experience I have ever had was
> with windows 95 and beyond.  I don't really understand DOS.  So please
> have patience with me.
>
> I am using a Asus M2N-E motherboard-----AMD Athlon 64X2 duel core 3800+
>
> Does that help at all?
>
> Web
>
> Web1 wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I updated to the latest release of Kubuntu and have installed all the
> > updates the update manager calls for.  My problem appears to be with
> > firefox, which has been updated to the latest releases.  It loads fine
> > and appears to work fine until I click on links and more times than
> > not the whole system will totally lock up and require a reboot.  I did
> > not have this problem before I upgraded from the previous most current
> > kubuntu release.
> >
> > Could firefox was installed prior to the latest upgrade.  Should I
> > uninstall it and reinstall it on the new kubuntu upgrade.  I think it
> > might be related to firefox needing to access the Internet when I
> > click on a link.  It doesn't happen all the time but when it does it
> > completely locks everything up.  At least it appears that way.
> >
> > My mail works fine all the time.  Another thing I was thinking is that
> > it might be the mouse driver and the new upgrade?  I know the mouse
> > works good on my other drive with windows xp installed, so if it is
> > anything it could be a compatibility issue with the new upgrade.
> >
> > Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks and you do a great job on this forum.
> >
> > Web
> >

> Per chance are you using a Intel graphics chipset? if you are try this
> as it worked for me. sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf
>
> <Snip>
>
> Section "Device"
>         Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
>         Option          "AccelMethod" "uxa"
>
> EndSection
>
> <snip>
>
> Cary

Open up Konsole (K button -> Applications -> System -> Konsole

once you have the "dos" screen type lspci  you will be looking for a
line like this..
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile GM965/GL960
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0c)

If that is the case (Intel graphics card) reply back & I'll give you the
step by step to rectify.

Cary