Lockup

Web1 daweber at wiktel.com
Wed May 6 01:31:32 UTC 2009

Thanks Cary but please know that I am new to Kubuntu and need step by step
help.  I am learning but the only experience I have ever had was with
windows 95 and beyond.  I don't really understand DOS.  So please have
patience with me.

I am using a Asus M2N-E motherboard-----AMD Athlon 64X2 duel core 3800+

Does that help at all?

Web

Web1 wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I updated to the latest release of Kubuntu and have installed all the
> updates the update manager calls for.  My problem appears to be with
> firefox, which has been updated to the latest releases.  It loads fine
> and appears to work fine until I click on links and more times than
> not the whole system will totally lock up and require a reboot.  I did
> not have this problem before I upgraded from the previous most current
> kubuntu release.
>
> Could firefox was installed prior to the latest upgrade.  Should I
> uninstall it and reinstall it on the new kubuntu upgrade.  I think it
> might be related to firefox needing to access the Internet when I
> click on a link.  It doesn't happen all the time but when it does it
> completely locks everything up.  At least it appears that way.
>
> My mail works fine all the time.  Another thing I was thinking is that
> it might be the mouse driver and the new upgrade?  I know the mouse
> works good on my other drive with windows xp installed, so if it is
> anything it could be a compatibility issue with the new upgrade.
>
> Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks and you do a great job on this forum.
>
> Web

Per chance are you using a Intel graphics chipset? if you are try this
as it worked for me. sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

<Snip>

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "Configured Video Device"
        Option          "AccelMethod" "uxa"

EndSection

<snip>

Cary