Panel colors in KDE 4.2.2

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Tue May 5 22:38:53 UTC 2009

Mark Greenwood said:

>> You've used that argument before, but it's completely counter-linux.
>> There are always situations where a knowledgeable user wants to change
>> a _single_ item, and current theming prevents that.  It's not what
>> we're used to,
>
> You see, this is the sort of argument that *really* annoys me as a
> software developer. It's that kind of thinking that has held desktop
> design back by years. "It's not what we're used to therefore we don't
> like it and we're going to moan about it". Or put another way "It's
> different and I don't like it".

You see, this is the sort of argument that *really*, *really* makes me
raise an eyebrow as a software developer. Sometimes both eyebrows.

That is, using the excuse that users claiming about the removal of
features is a "fear of change". It's at best a non sequitur.

> Arguments like that make progress and
> real innovation next to impossible. Thinking like that creates
> stagnation.

No. It's a failure of developers to understand the process of making
change while keeping the train running and on the tracks. Usually, it's
because the developers/architects don't have the necessary skills, and/or
the imagination.

In this particular case, it would have been quite possible to create what
has been created, but retain the ability to change the colours of various
widgets. But they didn't. That's a lack of ability. Nothing is gained by
throwing away good, mature code, and useful user functions. There's
nothing innovative about doing this. It's counter-productive.

> Thinking like that creates GNOME.

Gnome has (at least these past few years) been created by control freaks:
folk utterly convinced of their infallibility and understanding of what
others want. Although, to be honest, I'm not even sure of that; I think
they just wanted to copy Apple. Not much imagination, I guess. What do
Apple call it? "Opinionated software."

>> and
>> ime it's not what most of us want.  We are Linux users because we want
>> _control_.
>
> Please don't assume you speak for all Linux users. I'm a Linux user
> because I want an alternative to the MicroAppleSoft hegemony, and
> because I believe strongly in the open source concept. I don't care
> about control, I just want stuff that works.

Don't we all!

The OP had stuff that works, but now it doesn't. That's a genuine
complaint. Certainly not a fear of change.

> As far as I'm concerned, the KDE developers are to be congratulated on
> deciding to do some things in a new and interesting way. I hope they
> manage to ignore all the 'this is new and I don't like it' rants and
> carry on following their own path.

They will regardless. However, the regressions are huge and that's a
concern. I'm not sure many of us would go through this again, however
many years it is down the tracks.

I think what they've done is okay-ish. It's not that great once you get
used to it. However, it boots fast and is quite responsive. But the way
they did it was atrocious, and the regressions appalling.

But hey, it'll all be fixed in the next release.

--
Best,
Marc