Panel colors in KDE 4.2.2

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Tue May 5 21:36:51 UTC 2009

On Tuesday 05 May 2009 01:04:06 Derek Broughton wrote:

> >> Everybody can submit themes to kde-looks.org, BTW, so that is not in
> >> the sole hands of the Oxygen and Plasma devs. It just makes no sense
> >> for the average user to change isolated items in a theme, as it would
> >> break the overall picture. I can already hear the outcries like "my
> >> Panel is broken!!! Stupid developers!!!" from the usual suspects...
>
> You've used that argument before, but it's completely counter-linux.  There
> are always situations where a knowledgeable user wants to change a _single_
> item, and current theming prevents that.  It's not what we're used to,

You see, this is the sort of argument that *really* annoys me as a software developer. It's that kind of thinking that has held desktop design back by years. "It's not what we're used to therefore we don't like it and we're going to moan about it". Or put another way "It's different and I don't like it". Arguments like that make progress and real innovation next to impossible. Thinking like that creates stagnation. Thinking like that creates GNOME.

> and
> ime it's not what most of us want.  We are Linux users because we want
> _control_.

Please don't assume you speak for all Linux users. I'm a Linux user because I want an alternative to the MicroAppleSoft hegemony, and because I believe strongly in the open source concept. I don't care about control, I just want stuff that works.

As far as I'm concerned, the KDE developers are to be congratulated on deciding to do some things in a new and interesting way. I hope they manage to ignore all the 'this is new and I don't like it' rants and carry on following their own path.

Anyway, sorry, I've gone OT. FWIW I think the original poster had a valid point, but taking the argument into the "It's not what we're used to" territory was something I could not ignore. I'll shut up now.

Mark