jaunty: no BBC sound

Mark Greenwood fatgerman at ntlworld.com
Mon May 4 19:20:32 BST 2009

On Monday 04 May 2009 15:51:19 D. R. Evans wrote:
> In intrepid I could listen to BBC radio stations just fine. In jaunty I get
> no sound at all from them.
>
> I can hear notifications fine. Also, amarok works. But when I try to play a
> stream from the BBC (e.g.,
> http://www.bbc.co.uk/london/realmedia/sport_live/sportlive_slot4.ram) all I
> get is silence.
>
> I've tried this in FF and in Konqueror; both behave the same way. The
> player window strongly suggests that the audio protocol is OK -- I appear
> to be receiving the stream properly; it's just not playing.
>
> I hate being forced to fire up a Windows computer just for this purpose;
> does anyone have any idea why my jaunty installation might be failing when
> intrepid was fine?
>
>   Doc

For me, what's proven to be long-term reliable is to make sure I have the Flash plugin installed (so that iPlayer doesn't moan at me) and then install mozilla-mplayer and w64codecs (from medibuntu), which handles real and wma streaming (BBC use both but will still complain if you don't have real installed). This has been working for me in Firefox reliably for a while.

The Flash/real plugins seem to have changed a little in Jaunty. If you've upgraded from Intrepid, make sure to remove flashplugin-nonfree-extrasound if it hasn't already been removed. In Jaunty you can make sure the flash plugin is installed correctly by installing flashplugin-installer.

The alternative, of installing a genuine RealPlayer, is really only for the desperate.

Mark