Dcop - getting background image (Jaunty)

Michael Satterwhite michael at weblore.com
Mon May 4 21:14:20 UTC 2009

On Monday 04 May 2009 01:33:54 pm Myriam Schweingruber wrote:
> On Mon, May 4, 2009 at 19:04, Michael Satterwhite <michael at weblore.com>
wrote:
> > Under KDE 3, it was easy to determine what image in a slideshow was
> > current by the command
> >
> > dcop kdesktop KBackgroundIface currentWallpaper
> >
> > This doesn't work under KDE4 and Jaunty -
>
> Well, no, it can't, as there is no more DCOP. Instead you can use
> DBUS. See here for more information:
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/D-Bus/Accessing_Interfaces
> http://techbase.kde.org/Development/Tutorials/D-Bus/Intermediate_D-Bus
>
> and so on. Having a look at kde.org is allways a good idea when it
> comes to KDE IMHO.

All of that would be very interesting ... if I was writing a routine in C++.
While I may be forced into that by this change, the advantage of dcop is that
it was fully accessible from a bash script.

Nevertheless, this does give me a direction to look. So far, though, I haven't
been incredibly impressed with KDE 4. I don't think its time has come yet.