codec for .wmv with audio v3

Steven Vollom stevenvollom at sbcglobal.net
Mon May 4 21:00:03 UTC 2009

(Trimmed)

> I download a ton of wmv files...and honestly, I have never had one without
> sound. I can't seem to figure out how to loop through all of the wmv files
> in a dir and get the audio info on it...mplayer -identify in a for loop
> wouldn't play nice and xine has no listed option...Anyone know of a method
> in a for loop?

I have never had trouble playing a .wmv, unless it was a movie download, then
they never seem to work.  It is disappointing, because it appears like a new
method of encrypting the .wmv's when they are movies.  If you are having
trouble with movies, then it is the same with me.  If you are having not
having trouble with other .wmv's then there is a difference in the files, when
they are movies, I suspect.  In any event, it is annoying, so I just don't
download .wmv's when they are movie files.  As movies, I have never been able
to play them.  All other times, they work fine.  If you think you understand
what I said, then reply and tell me if the ones that don't work for you are
movie files.  If they are, I think there is something uniquely different about
movie.wmv's.  I too am interested if you want to consider the chat.

Steven