Switching off all ound notifications

marc gmane at auxbuss.com
Mon May 4 12:33:24 UTC 2009

Antonio Augusto (Mancha) said:

> On Fri, May 1, 2009 at 04:30, marc <gmane at auxbuss.com> wrote:
>> Clay Weber said:

>>> Unfortunately, you will probably have to go into gnome's preferences
>>> and disable it there, too.
>>>
>>> You are more or less running two separate desktop environments that
>>> don't use the same settings. There are some standards, such as menus
>>> and similar, but once you open a gnome app, it will look for gnome
>>> settings. KDE's settings aren't used there (and vice-versa).
>>
>> Yup, but I really thin they should be unified in this case. As I
>> implied, this whole "new" area hasn't been thought through at all.
>>

> This is no easy feat IMHO, since, for starts Gnome and KDE use two
> completly different sound architecture. KDE4 uses Phonon and Gnome is
> using Pulseaudio, so no, in the short term, I can't see this changing.

Nah, phonon can use pulse audio. They are two different things.

> After all this is what makes them TWO different desktops, instead of a
> single project.

Linux is a multi user system. If gnome and kde can't live together then
we're stuffed.

You can't just wave your arms and say this issue is inherent in having
both available. Where the heck do you stop with that line of reasoning?

--
Best,
Marc