Cannot login after KDE crash

tpk stream.gazer at
Sun May 3 09:16:06 BST 2009

Hi list,

In Kubuntu 9.04, I cannot login anymore after KDE crashed.
I got an error message stating that kicker(?) or kwin(?, can't remember) has crashed.
The panels, widgets and desktop vanished, but other open programs were functional on black background. Unlike before, KDE didn't recover automatically. After closing all other applications, I typed in konsole'kill -9 -1' to "emulate logout", which was a bad idea it seems.

After that I cannot login anymore, kdm screen just splashes and brings back the login screen.
~/.xsession-errors states:
<unknown program name>(12861)/: Communication problem with "konsole" , it probably crashed.
Error message was:  "org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Noreply" : " "Message did not receive a reply (timeout by message bus) " "

I have another account where I can login normally, and
 everything works OK, so I guess the problem lies in the accout data. But I don't know where such files are stored (renaming ~/.kde doesn't help).

Where KDE stores information on "the saved session" i.e. applications that should be lauched at startup?
What about the autostart options in KDE->System Configuration?

Thanks for your help.

By tracking recent changes in the configuration files I was able to trace the problem down to these files:
1) renamed file ~/.gconfd/saved_state
2) renamed files ~/.kde/cache-hostname/kpc/kde-icon-cache.*

1) fixed the problem with konqueror, but kded still crashed at login.
Because the directory .kde/cache-hostname is a symbolic link to /var/, renaming .kde didn't change anything.

The only downside (appeared so far) is that almost all KDE preferences were reset.